Today a colleague had an issue with the log service of SharePoint 2010.

Atleast that is what we thought πŸ™‚

After checking all the services of SharePoint, services of the Windows Server andΒ the event viewer, we still didn’t found out why SharePoint wouldn’t log.

So when we ran out of options, we checked how much free space was left on the disk. And this was the problem, only 200MB’s were free.

After freeing up some space, the logging ran again and everything was back to normal.

So lessons learned: Check the things first that you normally would take for granted. Keep in mind the KIS principle and happy hunting for bugs

hey everyone

I’m busy with Silverlight + SharePoint 2010 in Visual studio 2010.

All went well , but suddenly I’ve received an error with the mention of “ValidateXaml” task failed unexpectedly.

Ok reading the error furthur there was a mention of System.Windows not being found on the server.

That’s strange because the reference was right there.

The solution isn’t best case but it did the job for me.

Just go to c:program files(x86)references assembliesMicrosoftFrameworkSilverlightv3.0

Add System.dll, System.windows.dll and System.core.dll to the gac via gacutil.exe (gacutil /i “name of file of dll”).

My thanks to Gill Cleeren for finding this solution for me.

I’ve been extremely busy with new work, working in a recently bought appartement and going to the MS Techdays in Antwerp.

Lotz to blog about so soon to come πŸ™‚

kind regards
andy

Today I had a strange problem. 

Situation: 
I had 2 peopleEditors and I needed to check if both of them didn’t had the same value. 
If this was the case an error should appear, whether this was via a label or errormessage from the peopleEditor. The error needed to be shown. 

So the test is in applychanges event (could be syncchanges event, but this event is also run when the toolpart is opened). 
The problem was that the toolpart did the check and wrote a message that the 2 editors contain the same info but still continued to exit. So I had to stop the exit. 

Solution: 

Throw an exception πŸ™‚ , just as simpel as that. The user will not see the exception only the error message. 
But I believe that this isn’t the best solution but it’s the only one I could find. 
If someone has a better method please post it. We’re all learning πŸ˜‰

Kind regards 
andy 

hey everyone, 

Well this is a relative quite easy assignment no? 

How can you find the site directory URL in SharePoint without laying a path to it hardcoded. 

Well the answer is, you’ll have to put the SiteDirectory url in the CentralAdmin (Operations -> Master Site Directory). 
To retrieve this information you’ll need some admin rights to get it. Ofcourse normal users don’t have these rights. So elevation is needed here. 

SPFarm farm = null;
                PortalService service = null;
                SPWebApplication app = null;
                string URL = SPContext.Current.Site.Url.ToString();
               SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(delegate()
                {
                using (SPSite site = new SPSite(URL))
                {
                    System.Uri uri = new System.Uri(URL);
                    app = SPWebApplication.Lookup(uri);

                    farm = app.Farm;
                    foreach (SPService spservice in farm.Services)
                    {
                        if (spservice is PortalService)
                        {
                            service = spservice;
                            break;
                        }
                    }

                    GUID siteguid = new Guid(service.MasterSiteDirectorySiteId.ToString());
                    GUID webguid = new Guid(service.MasterSiteDirectoryWebId.ToString());

After this is it pretty easy, you’ll need to look for the “Sites” list et voila the rest is easy. 
The hard part was to figure out which service contains the information. And it appeared to be the PortalService. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Kind regards 
andy